10 August 2012

hello from my soapbox

I love Miranda Kerr. Not just for the obvious reasons, mind you, although I definitely see why she's kind of a big deal. It's more because of her frankness in interviews and the fact that she isn't afraid to speak her mind and say what she believes in. She's a great health advocate and I totally dig her vibe.

@mirandakerrverified/Instagram

So she received some "backlash" this week (don't they all?) for having an informed opinion on epidural anesthesia. While discussing her son's birth, she commented that she had seen videos comparing newborn babies whose mothers had had an epidural to those who hadn't. Miranda described how the babies of mothers without pain-relief often went straight for the breast. "Then they showed ones right after the epidural and that didn't happen", she said. "The baby was a little bit drugged up, and I was like, 'Well I don't want that'...  I had made a decision I wanted to do it naturally... I wanted to give him the best possible start in life I could".

What I find most frustrating about this "backlash" is not only that her comments were clearly on something she had educated herself about, but also because of the fact that her opinion isn't necessarily the mainstream way of thinking. It seems like many people were offended by her comments, perhaps taking it as a personal attack, but there's no denying the fact that when you do some research, Miranda isn't making it all up. As is often the case with many health-related issues, sometimes we need to dig a little deeper than the "truths" the mainstream media and health professionals give us, to find out what exactly we are exposing ourselves to.

While I was pregnant with Noah, I did a whole lot of reading on all aspects of pregnancy and birth (as most expectant mothers do!). This book changed my life:


It really opened my eyes to a lot of things, but what I remember most is that when I finished it I was convinced that I was going to have a natural birth. Now I'm not saying that there isn't a time and a place for an epidural - and I'm not one to judge - but I do think that we as mothers should at the very least take control and be educated about every decision we make in regards to our bodies and that of our families. No one else will.

Miranda has merit in saying what she truly believes was the best for her situation. I ended up having the natural birth that I wanted and that was the best for my situation. Who knows what will happen with my next one, as much as I hope for the same outcome. But at least I'll know what I'm getting myself and my baby into when the time comes. And I really encourage all expectant mothers to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post em! SO SO SO true!
    With Pia, I did everything I could to get her to come out naturally but after 2 weeks past my due date and still positive she would come out when she was ready my mid wife broke the news to me that it was time for an induction... I cried and cried and cried as it was the last thing I ever wanted to do as I had planned for an all natural birth so I tried to get around it every which way... But in the end it was the right thing to do as there was meconium all through the water and she was very well done. But I still wanted to bring her into the world in the most natural way possible minus the induction so didn't get an epidural and when I got to the end and met my baby, the midwife told me that usually epidurals and inductions go hand in hand as it is so intense. So I should be very proud I was such a trouper and didn't get one... I didnt feel proud or that I did anything special... I just did the best I could do for my baby in the situation i was in. She came first, pain comes and goes, a baby is here for their life time so why not make it as good as we can and give them the best start that we can possible! Sorry for the essay... but thanks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Cass! It's so true - the pain goes away as soon as it's all done. It doesn't hurt that I'm also more terrified of needles than I am of being in pain!

      Delete